Tiny White Flowers

Tiny White Flowers

Friday, November 7, 2008

One more thing...again

On today's Writer's Almanac:



Following the Road

by Larry Smith

I have left my wife at the airport,
flying out to help our daughter
whose baby will not eat.
And I am driving on to Kent
to hear some poets read tonight.

I don't know what to do with myself
when she leaves me like this.
An old friend has decided to 
end our friendship. Another 
is breaking it off with his wife.

I don't know what to say
to any of this-Life's hard.
And I say it aloud to myself,
Living is hard, and drive further
into the darkness, my headlights
only going so far.

I sense my own tense breath, this fear
we call stress, making it something else,
hiding from all that is real.

As I glide past Twin Lakes,
flat bodies of water under stars,
I hold the wheel gently, slowing my
body to the road, and know again that 
this is just living, not a trauma
nor dying, but a lingering pain
reminding us that we are alive.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails