Tiny White Flowers

Tiny White Flowers

Sunday, November 2, 2008

Artist's Way Journal - Week Six, Day Seven

I created a poem this morning--that was for yesterday, when I didn't write one.  My goal is 30 little poems this month.  I wonder how they'll all look when I'm done?

I didn't do so hot this week with Chapter Six.  At least, I don't think so.  I haven't cleaned out my closet yet, or pressed leaves between wax paper.  (Incidentally, is the correct term "Wax Paper" or "Waxed Paper?"  

Here we are:

Wax paper

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

wax paper

Wax paper (also called waxed paper) is a kind of paper that is  made moisture proof through the application of wax.

The practice of oiling parchment or paper in order to make it semi-translucent or moisture-proof goes back at least to medieval times. Thomas Edison claimed to have invented wax paper in 1872[citation needed] , but what he really invented was a cheap and efficient means to manufacture such paper.[1]

Wax paper is commonly used in cooking, for its non-stick properties, and wrapping food for storage,  such as cookies, as it keeps water out or in. It is also used in arts and crafts.

*   *   *   *   *

So that answers my question.  I guess it can be either way, and that's the same brand I use (see picture).  


I also didn't collect 5 rocks.  I have many rocks I've collected over the years, as well as shells from the beach.  I have a small snail  shell obsession, and have one or two dishes for the tiny ones, and have a few window sills filled with the larger Moon Snail shells.  I'm very intrigued by those; they seem very female to me, like little perfect breasts.  Except that they all face the same direction.  Also from Wikipedia:


Naticidae

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  (Redirected from Moon snail)
Naticidae
Naticarius hebraeus (Martyn, 1786)
Naticarius hebraeus (Martyn, 1786)
Scientific classification
Kingdom:Animalia
Phylum:Mollusca
Class:Gastropoda
Subclass:Orthogastropoda
Superorder:Caenogastropoda
Order:Sorbeoconcha
Suborder:Hypsogastropoda
Infraorder:Littorinimorpha
Superfamily:Naticoidea
Family:Naticidae
Guilding, 1834
Genera

See text.


Naticidae, the moon snails or naticoids, is

 a family of small to medium and large-sized predatory sea snails,marine gastropod molluscs in the clade Littorinimorpha.

It has been estimated that worldwide there are about 260–300 Recent species in this family, which is assumed to

 have originated in the late Triassic or in the early Jurassic. Members of the Naticidae can easily be

 recognized by their shell shape, distinctive markings and peculiar predatory behavior.


Distribution

Members of this family are found in all seas, from the intertidal zone to a considerable depth. The greatest species and

 generic diversity is found in tropical regions, but Naticidae are also abundant in

 moderately temperate as well as Arctic and Antarctic waters.

[edit]Habitat

Moon snails live on

 sandy substrates. They are often found ploughing along in the sand searching for prey.

[edit]Shell description

The shells of naticids

 are turbinate to globose, usually solid and smooth,

 the aperture without either siphonal canal or sinus, and the inner lip parietal callus is often reflected across the umbilicus, joining a spiral funicle from within. The operculum is tight fitting, either horny or calcareous depending on the genus.

[edit]Life habits

A moon snail on the prowl at night. Found on the North coast 

Naticids are very active carnivores.

 They feed largely upon bivalves, but will attack almost any shelled mollusk they encounter in the sand, such as scaphopods and gastropods, including other moonsnails. They envelop the prey and then bore a hole into the shell with the aid of their radula and

 an acid secretion, after which theproboscis is inserted through the round hole. The very neatly drilled round hole, which has a "countersunk" appearance with chamfered edges, is a characteristic diagnostic sign of moon snail predation.

In the breeding season, the female moonsnail constructs an interesting interrupted ring-shaped nidus of agglutinated sand grains, lining the inside with thousands of small

 eggs. These objects wash up fairly often, and are known by 

the common name "sand collars" because of their resemblance to an old-

fashioned removable shirt collar or false-collar.

[edit]Classification

Most authors suggested a distinct separation of the Naticidae into four subfamiliesAmpullospirinaeNaticinaePolinicinaeand Sininae. This arrangement is mainly based on morphological 

data, such as the surface material (calcareous in the Naticinae, 

corneous in the Polinicinae and Sininae) and size of the operculum or the morphology of the shell.

The new taxonomy of Bouchet & Rocroi (2005) however

 only recognizes three subfamilies :

  • Globisininae Powell, 1933
  • Naticinae Guilding, 1834
  • Sininae Woodring, 1928

The subfamily Polinicinae Gray, 1847 is an older synonym of Naticinae

To date, the naticid species are assigned into the following genera:


More ways to get side-tracked.
  In other words, I have an
 abundance of shells and a
 desire to press a myriad of colorful leaves.  Maybe I'll lift that nice wooden press off the shelf above the closet in the bedroom and put it to use.

I did bake--today I made an apple pie for my mom and dad.  (Mom's birthday is today, and Dad's was the day after DS was diagnosed with diabetes.  I used the Liberty apples from our tree, and it turned out quite well, if I do say so myself.  

I haven't sent out postcards, but I think it's not too late to do so.  Maybe I'll still send some tomorrow.

Do I feel more properous, more flowing in my life?  Not yet.  

__________________ 

Week Six Check in:

1. Morning Pages: This week I wrote maybe three or four days in my leather journal.  Not quite up to snuff.  I wrote here every day.  Thats feels good--to have kept some consistency is satisfying.  As far as creative luxury, I haven't explored that much.  I would dearly love to go on retreat again, though that might be a long time coming, seeing as our situation dictates I stay near until DS gets total control of his diabetes, which might take awhile.  But, I do realise I can do some things closer to home, and probably could (and should) do an over-nighter--maybe into Seattle.

2. Artist Date:  Hmm.  Not really, nothing that I'd planned ahead of time.  I should do two this week!  Ah--the question is, "would you allow yourself two?"  Yes, if I could get away with it.  = )

3. Synchronicity:  If I did, it wasn't enough for me to remember it.  I'll need to pay better attention this week.  

4. Other Significant Issues:  I did experience some anxiety and irritation this week, centered around money, partly, and also from serious lack of sleep/relaxation.  I dream of a massage, of some uninterrupted time to myself that doesn't have to go into the late hours.  

Not the best recap, but it'll have to do for now.  I can only hope that I will do better this coming week.  It's a good goal to shoot for.

--TKC

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails