Tiny White Flowers

Tiny White Flowers

Sunday, October 5, 2008

Artist's Way Journal - Week One, Day Seven

Greetings~  


Yesterday was my Artist's Date, which is a little bit of a cheat, as I went to the BrickCon (Lego convention) with DS.  But, I'm going to defend this by saying that I spent time there by myself, photographing the wonderful ways people created things with their bricks.  I took some 300 photos, and loved it.  DS was in his element, having met (again) some Lego gurus he conversed with/shared Bionicle creations online with.  One was a woman from Anchorage, AK, who makes fabulous things from Bionicle parts, not the least of which is a 10 pound dragon, made from some 2000+ parts.  Here is a photo (which doesn't do it justice), and it's creator, "Roa McToa":






We were there "after hours," as DS was quite engaged with his
 fellow creators, and I was loving the fact that he was making these connections.  I must mention that "Roa McToa," as the designer is called online, is creative in other ways as well:


"My Online Name(s): Roa McToa and Archinto. If you see Archinto anywhere, its most likely me, or an instrument!
My Occupation(s): My main trade is Violin Making. I build them from scratch, and they have dragon heads for scrolls. I have made 3 instruments so far, 2 violins and a viola. I am currently working on my fourth instrument, a violin. I also repair violins and violas, and can do some pretty complex repairs..."


To read more about this amazing woman, visit:  
http://www.bzpower.com/forum/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=560&&st=50



This is a person who is living creatively, as it seems.  (A more detailed look at Roa's creation.)

*   *   *

So, I still have my old Legos, at my DA's house. The house I grew up in, with my Austrian grandparents.  The Legos are probably still in a box in the room my grandparents slept in, the one I wrote a poem about (which is coming out in New Millennium Writings in November).  

I remember a Lego house I painstakingly made, with a roof I made of basic bricks, and which took hours.  (This is when bricks were in colors Red, White, Blue, Yellow, and Black.  I did actually have a window, which was unusual.) Anyway, I layered the roof as one would shingles.  Anyone who's ever worked with Legos knows that you can only apply the 'right' kind of pressure.  If you press the bricks together too hard, you risk collapse.  Finally, I had completed my house, roof and all.  I wish I had a photo.

My enjoyment of this creation was sadly short-lived.  My piano teacher (who lived across the street) had a grandchild, or other little one over, and they decided to pay us a visit.  Of course, the child was quite taken with the little house, and it didn't take more than a little push on the neat roof to cave it in.  It had taken such a l
ong time to get right, I never did it again.  

I do know there were plenty of other times I did pursue things I felt strongly about.  But this was just one of those times I had to let it go.  

*   *   *   *   *














No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails