Tiny White Flowers

Tiny White Flowers

Friday, February 24, 2012

Lent Day 3, and it's another poem

I taught at 6 am today, and chickened out reading a poem to the class.  So, before midnight hits I'd better find a poem to share in some way.

I read to my weight training class last night the same poem I read to my Pilates class.  And I think I avoided it today mostly because this wasn't my normal class, and also because it I'm thinking about how I set myself the task of reading or posting a poem a day to at least one person.

Perhaps this journey is a little more challenging than I thought when I first dreamed it up in the shower yesterday morning. But it is weird to say to people, "For Lent I decided that I'm going to read or post a poem a day, hopefully to someone who doesn't normally "do" poetry. Here's a little little poem I'd like to read to you."  Then again, taking something I like very much, like poetry, out of my comfort zone with me, is the whole idea behind the scheme.

It's late, and I'm babbling, so ...

Here's a poem from Poets.org:

A Thought of the Nile  
by Leigh Hunt

It flows through old hushed Egypt and its sands,
Like some grave mighty thought threading a dream,
And times and things, as in that vision, seem
Keeping along it their eternal stands,—
Caves, pillars, pyramids, the shepherd bands
That roamed through the young world, the glory extreme
Of high Sesostris, and that southern beam,
The laughing queen that caught the world's great hands.

Then comes a mightier silence, stern and strong,
As of a world left empty of its throng,
And the void weighs on us; and then we wake,
And hear the fruitful stream lapsing along
'Twixt villages, and think how we shall take
Our own calm journey on for human sake.
 
 
 
*****
 
 
Update:

Woohoo! Found a recipient for the gift of a poem.  I emailed a poem to a friend, and now I can sleep better, knowing I kept my promise to myself two days in a row.  ; )

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails