Tiny White Flowers

Tiny White Flowers

Friday, March 16, 2012

The Red Poppy- Poets.org - Poetry, Poems, Bios & More

The Red Poppy- Poets.org - Poetry, Poems, Bios & More

Last night my daughter and I attended the Seattle Arts & Lectures reading at Benaroya Hall.  Louise Glück gave a fantastic reading.  This was one of the poems she shared with us:

The Red Poppy
 

The great thing
is not having 
a mind. Feelings:
oh, I have those; they 
govern me. I have 
a lord in heaven 
called the sun, and open 
for him, showing him
the fire of my own heart, fire 
like his presence.
What could such glory be
if not a heart? Oh my brothers and sisters, 
were you like me once, long ago, 
before you were human? Did you 
permit yourselves
to open once, who would never 
open again? Because in truth 
I am speaking now 
the way you do. I speak 
because I am shattered.
 
 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails