Tiny White Flowers

Tiny White Flowers

Friday, May 14, 2010

AC/DC: Iron Man 2


AC/DC: Iron Man 2, originally uploaded by earbender.
Once in a while I deviate from my norm, delving into the world of superheroes, hard rock, metal suits and explosions. Why is that?

Last night I watched my current favorite tv show on PBS: Doc Martin. It's a show about a London surgeon who works in a small Cornish village as a GP, due to the fact that he has an aversion to blood. The show is along the lines of Northern Exposure and Ballykissangel, with a cast of wonderful characters that keep it moving along.

I'm also a sucker for Jane Austen movies, Room With a View, etc. So, why Marvel movies (Iron Man especially) and DC movies (Batman)? What is it about those Bad Boys (AC/DC rockers included) that gets my circulation moving better than caffeine? A sense of danger, of possibility, of pushing past your limits into the realm of normal physical capability. . .

I am anti-war, anti-violence, yet I am pulled into the dark side of these movies and characters, probably because they aren't perfect, despite their abilities. I'm drawn to their flaws, their weak moments, their revelations. Because there is always a revelation, and redemption. I think this is what makes it for me, no matter how dark the material, there always seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel, an 'ah ha!' moment, or an over-riding sense of selflessness that takes over, just when you think the end is near. You've got to break before you can experience resurrection. That sort of thing. And I love it.

And AC/DC? I've been listening a bit lately, even designed a squat track to one of the songs for my class at the gym. Listening to that energy of these Bad Boys in the morning really does work like that cup of coffee I can't have (I have a bad reaction to caffeine). And if I can work up a sweat, cleanse the system, and share that energy with others, I think that's a good thing.

That's the way I see it.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails