Tiny White Flowers

Tiny White Flowers

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Tuesday Musings

Wow. It's been a whole week, almost, since I wrote last. I'm long overdue, and yet, there is something wrong with this picture. Outside, it is sunny and blue, the last of the fall colors are glowing, and the stark winter hues are coming through. So far, so good.

And yet, I'm inside, on the computer, gulping down a bowl of left-over noodles and chicken while trying to get caught up while the quiet is still in the air. Nobody else home, and just the sound of the fish tanks a few feet away. I've paid most of my bills (thank god for online bill-paying), I've taught my two Pilates classes for the day, neither of the kids have called home sick, I've caught up with a dear friend, and made it to the bank before forgetting to do so. At least there are some pluses to balance out any minuses.

Confession: I researched cameras for two days, found one on Ebay. . . and it should be here on Friday. I usually take days or weeks researching, but this time I didn't, feeling confident that this will work for me just fine. It's one to leave in my purse when I ache for something decent to capture what I'm seeing. The cellphone camera just doesn't cut it most of the time.

Rabbit, rabbit, rabbit

My kids learned in montessori years ago that that's what you're supposed to say when you wake up the first morning of a new month. Say those three words before anything else comes out of your mouth. All month you'll have good luck. I keep thinking of this the day of the 30th, and by morning all the other business my brain is working on during the night piles up, and before I know it, I'm up peeling kids out of bed, making breakfast, and trying to rearrange my position on being up too damn early.

Does it count if I say it now? Right here in front of the computer, with no one around to hear? A tree falling has to make noise. . . and three rabbits in rapid succession couldn't hurt anyone.

I'm essentially done shopping for DS. He's easy this year, and I am on the ball, and done with the big stuff. DD was easy, too. I purchased her major gift two weeks ago, in front of her, but I'm sure that was meant to be. I should really retrieve the box of Docs from her bedroom floor, so that she has the opportunity to forget for a brief time what they look like, wrap them up. I'm easy, too. I bought my shoes for my DH to give me, and I ordered said camera. . .

Everywhere I go, there are Christmas trees cut and waiting. It seems almost criminal to me. My apologies to my dear readers who love to extend the holiday spirit, purchasing their trees the day after Thanksgiving. But growing up with my Austrian grandparents, and having a DH who is of similar mind, our tree is gotten no earlier than a week before, and sometimes just a day or two before Opening Day. My grandmother remembered arising on Christmas Eve morning to a tree decorated and glowing. Her parents cut the tree the night before, then trimmed it while she slept. How wonderful to wake up that way! How special that must have been. Magical, like the tree in the Nutcracker. Our tree will go up in the last minute, and stay until the 6th of January - the 12 days of Christmas.

Now I feel almost sadness walking past the rows of cut trees, thinking how dry they'll be three or four weeks from now, and how used to the tree people will have gotten by the time Christmas comes.

Two things I want to do this season - see the Nutcracker again (for DD's sake), and also see the Black Nativity for the first time. I've heard such wonderful things about it, and would love to experience the colors, music, movement and emotion of it. I hope to make that happen.

What are your favorite things to do this month? What traditions to you hold dear, whether it be centered around Christmas time, Hannuka, Kwanza, or whatever you celebrate? Will you share it with many, or quietly with one or two? I'd love to hear your stories.

So, now it's time to consider the dishes in the sink. Be well today, enjoy the weather, and do a good turn for someone in need.

Blessings~

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails