Tiny White Flowers

Tiny White Flowers

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Day Five of National Poetry Month

On Robert Brewer's site, Poetic Asides, he gives this prompt for the poem of the day:

"Today is our first "Two for Tuesday" prompt of the month. For those who are new to the challenge, I provide two prompts instead of one--usually polar opposites of each other--and poets can choose which one to use. Of course, quite a few poets write a poem for both prompts.

For today's prompt, do one of the following:
  1. Write a goofy poem.
  2. Write a serious poem.
Of course, I see the possibility for writing a seriously goofy poem and writing a serious poem with a little goofy thrown into the mix. I'm excited to see what kind of silly things may transpire the next 24 hours, and I'm interested in all the straight-faced poems as well."


 So, my task is set.

So far, my poems have been all but goofy.  Much of the subject matter is pulled from my dad's passing (on 1 January of this year).  Before he died, I had a flood of poem ideas, and some that will be published soon, but now it gets harder.  Now it's not so much about the process, but about the past, and the future.

How to write the goofy poem?  Will it retain some underlying sense of irony?  Can it be truly light-hearted?  I don't know.  But I do know that for me this will be a challenge.

* * *

A few photos, in keeping with my parallel challenge of posting a photo a day, which I haven't done.  Here is one for each day up till now.







Note:  The ruined Birkenstock is one that was kicked into the blackberries the day, 10 or so years ago, the lid to the compost bin came down on my head one too many times.

Off to work, and to ruminate on my goofy poem. If you get a chance, let me know if you're working on writing a poem a day also.  I'd love to hear what you're up to.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails