Tiny White Flowers

Tiny White Flowers

Friday, March 6, 2009

Playing with Words

I found this very interesting.  As I'm feeling less than creative right now, I'm perusing the creativity of others. . .


"I began to play with words then. I was a little obsessed by words of equal value. 
Picasso was painting my portrait at that time, and he and I used to talk this thing 
over endlessly. At this time he had just begun on cubism. . . . I took individual 
words and thought about them until I got their weight and volume complete and 
put them next to another word, and at this same time I found out very soon that 
there is no such thing as putting them together without sense. I made innumerable 
efforts to make words write without sense and found it impossible. Any human 
being putting down words had to make sense out of them. . . . It should create 
a satisfaction in the mind of the reader but in the same image as the creation."

-   Gertrude Stein (A Transatlantic Interview—1946.)
      A Primer for the Gradual Understanding of Gertrude Stein.
 
      Edited by Robert Bartlett Haas.
      eratiopostmodernpoetry

 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails